Nebraska Wesleyan University is building its first academic building in over 30 years. The university, founded in 1887, broke ground on the Duane W. Acklie Hall of Science earlier this year. The nearly 80,000 square foot building will house the biology, chemistry and psychology departments, laboratories and a greenhouse. Sampson Construction, the general contractor is responsible for the coordination of subcontractors and suppliers on this project. Olsson Associates is the civil engineer. The Clark Enerson Partners are the architects of record. Celli-Flynn Brennan is the design architect. Tetrad Property Group is Nebraska Wesleyan’s owner representative for the project. The site expanded beyond Nebraska Wesleyan’s historic footprint across 50th Street from Old Main, the campus’ first academic building. NWU worked closely with First United Methodist Church, the community and local businesses to gain approval from the Lincoln City Council to close one block of 50th Street from Baldwin Ave. to St. Paul Ave., where the building will be located. General Excavating's early involvement included relocating existing utilities, installing a new water main, sanitary sewer, storm sewer and associated work. The Duane W. Acklie Hall of Science is expected to open in 2019.